3 Best VPN for DDoS Protection 2022
DDoS is any kind of attack on a server or network resource that results in the disruption of service. DDoS attacks can cause everything from slow connections to complete site outages, depending on their severity and how they’re carried out.
A VPN can provide DDoS Protection because it hides users’ IP addresses, which makes it extremely difficult for DDoS attacks to locate the user network. It is however important to choose the right VPN to protect you against DDoS, which should preferably encompass the following features:
- First, you’ll want to make sure that the provider you choose can offer robust protection against these types of attacks.
- Secondly, you’ll want to consider things like speed and reliability, as a slow or unreliable connection could negatively impact your online experience.
- Finally, it’s important to keep in mind that a good VPN will also offer additional security features like military-grade encryption, which can protect your sensitive data from hackers and other malicious users.
Summary table of what makes a great VPN for DDoS Protection
|📥Keep logs||Very Important|
|👩💼Kill Switch||Very Important|
|🔒Split Tunnelling||Great to Have|
3 Top VPN for DDoS Protection 2022
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for streaming and privacy
- NordVPN — Low-latency VPN with a great focus on security
- Surfshark — Versatile VPN with DDoS protection for unlimited devices
ExpressVPN – Best VPN for streaming and privacy
If you’re looking for a VPN to use for DDoS Protection, then we highly recommend ExpressVPN. This provider has a great reputation for providing some of the best security and privacy features in the industry, making it ideal for those who want to keep their online activity private and secure. In addition, ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy, meaning that your data will never be stored or monitored by the VPN provider.
This provider guarantees fast and stable speed, it has an average download speed of 94 Mbps, an average upload speed of 16 Mbps, and an average ping speed of 227 ms. In addition, it has very strong DNS Leak protection according to our tests, as well as cooperative customer support, providing responses promptly within 10 seconds.
ExpressVPN Key Features:
- Reliable safety specifications
- Supports various routers
- In-built speed test tool
- Excellent IP masking
- No DNS or IP leaks in tests
- Apps for any platforms
- Configurable split tunnelling
- Kill switch
NordVPN — Low-latency VPN with a great focus on security
NordVPN is another excellent VPN for DDoS Protection purposes. This provider offers a great selection of security and privacy features, as well as a strict no-logs policy. NordVPN is also one of the few VPN providers that offer a kill switch feature, which will prevent your data from being exposed if the VPN connection goes down.
The service provides strong DNS leak protection, as well as a fast ping speed with an average of 230 ms. It also has a large server network, which helps offer options for users to change locations easily while maintaining high speed and security.
NordVPN Key Features:
- Dedicated IP address
- Compatible with various routers
- IP address for your own game server
- Double VPN feature
- Ad-block and malware-block add-ons
- RAM-only hardware
- Obfuscated Servers and CyberSec
Surfshark — Versatile VPN with DDoS protection for unlimited devices
Even though Surfshark is extremely budget-friendly, it has excellent protection against DDoS attacks. This provider offers all the same great security and privacy features as the other two providers on this list but at a fraction of the price. In addition, Surfshark VPN has a strict no-logs policy and is one of the few VPN providers that offer a kill switch feature.
It has an average download speed of 71 Mbps and an average ping speed of 234 ms. It is also very convenient for families and regular internet users because with its unlimited connections policy, you can ensure all your devices are protected.
Surfshark Key Features:
- Swift and affordable
- Unlimited connections
- Bonus antivirus security
- Prevents ISP regulation
- RAM-only hardware
- Camouflage Mode and NoBorders Mode
- Hides IP in Discord and other chats
What is anti-DDoS VPN?
As the name suggests, an anti-DDoS VPN is a type of VPN that is specifically designed to protect against DDoS attacks. A DDoS attack is a type of cyber-attack that attempts to overload a server or network with requests, making it unavailable to legitimate users. There are two main types of anti-DDoS VPNs:
1. Layer 4 VPNs: These VPNs protect the connection from IP address spoofing and web-based application attacks, like those that are used in DDoS attacks. However, they do not offer protection against network-level or layer 3 attacks, which can still affect the performance of your network.
2. Layer 7 VPNs: These VPNs are specifically designed to protect against network-level attacks. They typically include features that help to distinguish normal traffic from DDoS attack traffic and can also detect and remove attack traffic before it reaches its target. This makes them much more effective at protecting your network against DDoS attacks, but they are also more expensive than layer 4 VPNs.
How VPN protect you from DDoS?
A VPN can help protect you from DDoS attacks in two ways. First, it can prevent your IP address and location from being revealed to the attacker. This makes it much more difficult for them to target you. Second, a VPN encrypts all of the internet traffic that passes through its servers. This makes it much harder for an attacker to carry out a DDoS attack or for anyone else to intercept your data.
How to use VPN to protect against DDoS?
There are many ways to use a VPN in order to protect you against DDoS attacks, including:
- Protection against DDoS attacks: The most obvious benefit is that it can protect your network from DDoS attacks by keeping your IP address anonymous. This can help to keep your website or online service available to legitimate users, even during a DDoS attack.
- Improved performance: By protecting your network from DDoS attacks, a VPN can also help to improve its performance. This is because DDoS attacks can cause legitimate traffic to be delayed or blocked, resulting in a poor user experience.
- Reduced costs: DDoS attacks can be costly, both in terms of the damage they can cause and the resources required to mitigate them. By using a VPN, you can help to reduce the cost of DDoS attacks by preventing them from happening in the first place.